Friday, May 9, 2008

Colors of the rainbow


I have been trying to snap this one for a few weeks. I have not been able to due to how protected this specimen is by the others near it, usually a truck or car protects it at the rear, preventing a look at its mystical beauty. It is near my house and I am always amazed when I see it. It is not the fact that it is purple when you are coming at it from the east, or that it changes to blue then green as you pass it. It is not that the car gets like 35 mpg... well maybe it is... No, i is the fact that this 92 HP demon retails used for $1300 and there is a $1300 paint job on it. My numbers are such: Prep: $500; includes body work, bondo and primer. Paint: $400 per pint, 2 pints for the car if done right with 2 layers. Application: $200 - cheaply done right again, there are way too many cars i see pass me that I cringe because i can see the color difference and the dimples from shoddy work. $200 for clean up, clear coat, and disposal of crap. Now I could be TOTALLY wrong on these numbers, all because I am a back country hick form Idaho, but that is what I find on the web. Now I know this could have been done by the owner and cost much less, but still... Why? Why waste it? Either the pony or indian on either side would have been a better investment of that time/money/effort. Although I would be writing up on them at this point if that were the case.

4 comments:

Brigham said...

Yes Joe, but how does this fingernail polish job affect the Paseo's horsepower?

Joe said...

It has an optical illusion hp effect, making it look like 3 different speeds all at once.

Jarret M. Sharp, Ed. D. said...

Not a bad diatribe on paint/body work. An obvious strength for Joe.

I want to know how fisheyes and excess bondo add or deplete HP?

Joe said...

well... I think, if memory recalls correctly, it is a U curve, meaning on the low end of the amount of fish eyes you have more HP. As the amount of FE go up you get less HP. After about an FE per square foot it starts going up again, to where you have maxed out at one FE per squared 4 inches. After that it starts to plateau. It gets real complicated when you add in bondo bulges or cracks.